Friday, October 31, 2008

'THE CRUCIBLE'

When I began designing for The Crucible I felt that it was very important to keep the costumes rooted historically. I also wanted to create a clear distinction between the witch-hunting girls and their followers.

I built most of the costumes for this production, and I kept a very historically accurate silhouette with every costume I made. I also chose to use a natural color pallet of earth tone dyes.

The girls wore pastel earth tone dresses with girlish touches - dainty bows, modest lace, small buttons. Comparatively, the older townspeople wore darker earth tones and had few extra touches added to their puritan dress.

I also illustrated the divide between the rich townspeople and the poorer farmers. Richer characters, such as Putnam, wore smoother, more luxurious fabric. Farmers, like Proctor, were dressed in rougher fabrics. Richer characters were also dressed in higher contrast colors (a deeply colored coat with a very bright white collar - vs. a more subdued coat with an off-white collar.)