Wednesday, September 26, 2007

'THE KING AND I'

The King and I is a classical musical on a grand scale. With well over 30 actors in the cast of Western Washington University's production this summer, it was the biggest show that WWU has put on in many years. The show required grand costumes and colors that lived together on the stage in harmony - powerful but not overwhelming.

I always begin designing by creating a research book. I collect art, photos, historical sketches, and other images that help to illustrate the specific characters within the social, historical, and geographical setting of the play. The research I collect is both historical and emotional. This research book leads me to the overall concept for the costume design and individual design choices in my sketches.

After I created a research book like this for The King and I, I made a color plot. The director, Gregory Pulver, traveled to Thailand to study Thai culture, dance, and art shortly after we discussed the color plot. While he was traveling he collected fabrics that matched the color swatches I gave him. Many of the fabrics that Gregory bought in Thailand had gold threads woven into them or were printed with very ornate designs. These beautiful traditional fabrics looked amazing on stage, and gave the whole show a more magical appearance.

I shopped for other fabrics in Vancouver, BC's "Little Pakistan." The sari fabrics sold at many of the fabric stores in that area of the city had the same ornate qualities of the Thai fabrics.

The Siamese royal wives and children with Anna surrounding the dying King.












While the people of Siam were in deep, vibrant jewel tones I kept Anna Leonowens in calming blues and creams. In fact all the visiting British were in blues, whites, and pastel tones. I wanted to create a clear distinction between the two cultures at the beginning of the play.

As the play progressed and each culture learned more about the other the colors and silhouettes of the costumes came a little closer together. At the end of the play as Anna and Louis are preparing to leave Anna is wearing a traditional sash and Louis is in traditional Thai pants: panongs.

Anna reads a letter from the dying King as Louis, Prince Chululongkorn, and Lady Thiang stand by.