Tuesday, May 1, 2007

'STEEL MAGNOLIAS'


I recently designed costume for Steel Magnolias at SecondStory Repertory Theatre. The production closed April 28th.

When I began the design process for Steel Magnolias I focused on each character as an individual before I began looking at the group of women as a whole. It was very important to me, and to the director Caitlin Finne, that the women were shown as well rounded individuals with all the complexities of real people.
After I had a clear understanding of each of the women I began looking at them as a group. Their friendship and unconditional love bound them together and helped them grow.
Just as every woman added to the group and complemented the others in it, their costumes worked together in a similar way. Each woman had her own mode of dress, yet they all complemented each other.

Color is also very important to the script. Shelby only wears pink. I chose to use color groupings to illustrate the women's differences within the cohesive group.

Photos thanks to Caitlin Finne.